Exfoliating peels are a great way to jump-start your skin’s natural processes to help regenerate it, revealing younger, fresher skin cells. They can also help to tackle problems with pigmentation and spot prone skin.
Why would a peel benefit me?
As we get older our skin’s processes become less effective, which is when it begins to show visible signs of ageing. It produces less elastin and collagen, which keeps your skin smooth and firm, while skin cell renewal also begins to slow down. As these natural rejuvenating processes become less effective your skin’s healthy cells and proteins become susceptible to lasting damage. This can result in our skin tone becoming less vibrant and the forming of fine lines and wrinkles.
What are the active ingredients?
Before we go into detail about how the treatment is performed, let’s talk about the science.
G&T Brighten Peels use a clinically proven, novel combination of glycolic acid and taurine. But what are these ingredients and what do they do?
Glycolic acid is one of the most effective, clinically proven peels available. Increasing exfoliation to leave skin softer, with a more youthful appearance. But there’s so much more to glycolic acid – it enhances your skin in more ways than you might think:
- Exfoliation – the bonds between older skin cells are broken down, allowing them to fall away.
- Hydration – your skin’s natural moisturising processes are reinvigorated so that your skin becomes more hydrated.
- Stimulation – the peel stimulates your skin, encouraging the creation os new, fresh skin cells.
- Firming – the peel increases the density of collagen and elastin within your skin (the fibres that make skin appear firmer) helping to improve the elasticity of your skin.
All the while, taurine helps to soothe your skin and reduce any redness or irritation. It really is the perfect combination for a highly effective, but kind, peel. This benefits you because there is little or no down time.
This outstanding duo also work hard at addressing specific skin concerns like pigmentation and spot prone skin:
- Exfoliating cells that contain melanin (melanin darkens the skin’s tone).
- Clearing and closing pores, and reducing the appearance of spots.
What is the process for the G&T Brighten Peels?
We asked our skin peel specialist, Saoirse, what’s involved in the treatment.
Prior to the treatment:
- Consultation – where we discuss the treatment with you, expected outcomes and also to ensure if you are suitable to have the peels.
- Skin Preparation – the skin is prepared at home for 1-2 weeks prior to having any peels in the clinic. This involves using a 10-15% peel-prep solution. This enhances the results of the peels and allows the skin to tolerate the higher levels of acid, which start at 30% and end up at 70%.
- Product Packs – all the products you need are provided as a handy pack during the course of your peels.
What happens during the treatment?
- Your hair and clothing will be protected
- The skin is firstly cleansed
- Protection is provided for your eyes
- The peel is applied to the skin, and left on for 3-5 minutes. A fan is used for the duration of the treatment, to help ease any additional heat generated while the peel is on your skin.
- The peel is neutralised
- You then spend 20 minutes under our Dermalux LED therapy machine
- We will apply Heliocare sunscreen before you leave the clinic
What does it feel like?
During the treatment, your skin may feel slightly warm and tingly. Afterwards, your skin may be a little pink and dry, as a result of the exfoliation process. This is completely normal.
Is there any aftercare?
During your course of treatment, it’s really important to use SPF50 sunscreen on your face EVERY DAY, and try to avoid direct sun exposure.
If you have any questions about this, or any of our other treatments, please do get in touch with us directly.